Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 2004 21:01:35 -0500
From:      Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading 5.2.1 to 5.3R2

Ok, so I upgraded, ran mergemaster, and merged /etc/group (and
/etc/master.passwd I think) via mergemaster.
I merged those files to retain my non root user account.
I rebooted, and I haven't been able to log into my non root account.
I tried to readd the account via adduser, but it says that the user
already exists.
So I tried rmuser, and it says that the user doesn't exist.
So I manually removed the account name from /etc/group,
/etc/master.passwd, /etc/passwd,
and tried to add the user, via adduser.
When it tries to add the user, it fails (dont remember the message right
now).
Anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the old user account back??
N.B. I did back up /etc before mergemaster...
Thanks