Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:59:13 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diff(1)

At 3:12 PM -0400 9/17/04, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 17, 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>  >
>>  OpenBSD's diff is much smaller than gnu's.  It seems to use less
>>  memory as well for many operations.  Its speed seems about the same.
>  > Most of these impressions are based on light testing, so YMMV.
>
>But seriously, is this better than ports/textproc/freegrep which
>"should" have been the FreeBSD grep years ago?

It's certainly better when it comes to doing diff's...     :-)

IIRC (and I may not), the main reason that grep isn't in the base
system is that it was significantly slower in some situations.
But my memory of that work is pretty fuzzy.  In principle I think
we should replace the grep, too, as long as the replacement works
as well as the version we are currently using.

The thing is, none of these replacements are "urgent" to get done,
and they easily get forgotten about as more urgent projects pop up.
[So says Garance, who is still trying to get around to replacing
the `patch' in the base system with a BSD-licensed version...]