Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:59:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        gvosmaer@xs4all.nl (Vosmaer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emacs key bindings cause headaches

In a previous message, Vosmaer said:
> Hello people,
>
> Does any of you know where I could find information on how to get my Emacs
> key bindings right? I, for one, would like to have a META key and to be
> able to press backspace without entering the help system (backspace does
> C-h). i have checked my keymaps, I'm using the US-iso keymap, which appears
> to bind the backspace key right...
>
> Jacob Vosmaer
>
> (running fbsd 3.2 on a 486)

You can read Richard Stallman's stuff on why backspace is wrong and delete
is backspace. Or you you can use some (or all) of this in your ~/.emacs file

(display-time)
(server-start)
(global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)
(global-set-key "\C-]" 'help-for-help)

(global-set-key "\C-X@" 'set-mark-command)
(put 'narrow-to-page 'disabled nil)

And isn't Alt your Meta key?

--
"I don't know what weapons they will use in World War III,
 but they will be using clubs in the fourth." -- Albert Einstein