Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:50:04 -0800
From:      Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPF dropping packets randomly

I believe Ben Lovett (blovett@bsdguru.com) scribbled this:
> I believe Evgueni V. Gavrilov (admin@rshb.com.ru) scribbled this:
> > Ben Lovett wrote:
> >
> > >I have made my ruleset available at
> > >http://www.tilderoot.com/~blovett/laptop/ipf.rules
> > >
> > ipmon's log would be fine
> >
> > --
> > VAMPIRO-RIPN
>
> After doing some more looking around, I discovered that my state table
> was full at those points in time.  I also find it peculiar that
> connections to, for example, a IRC server after being closed are set to
> a TTL of 1 minute, while SSH sessions disappear from the state listing
> entirely, only to time out 2 hours later (or so it appears).  Once a
> connection is closed, how does IPF determine how long to leave an entry
> in the state table for?  Is it based on the TTL of a packet finalizing
> the close of the connection?

Well, don't I feel like a fool now.  Thats what I get for not reading
ipfstat(8) ... I see that I can use -C with -t to see closed states.

With regards to why my state table was filling up, i had been running
some bandwidth benchmarks using ttcp, and it seems that they do not
properly close the connection.  That would be what was filling up my
state table because ~700 states were created each time I ran the
benchmark.

Regards,
--
Ben Lovett 					     <blovett@bsdguru.com>