Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 1996 18:17:33 +0000
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>, "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@uswest.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading

At 09:19 AM 2/5/96 -0500, Jerry Kendall wrote:

>I have heard many people say 'IP masquerading' with different
>definitions...

IP Masquerading is a technique, currently in an unsupported alpha stage of
Linux kernels, for establishing a private IP 'subrange' of addresses located
on a Lan beyond the firewalling router (via 'ipfw' command).

This makes possible to set up a network without an official or actually
Internet-routed addressing scheme, thus relying on the sub-addressing
capability of the so said IP masquerading functionality inside the router.
The nodes being masqueraded have their own private IP network, possibly in
the sense of RFC 1597, fully participating and communicating with the
external connected Internet. The only restrictions is about the managed
protocols: for now telnet and http only, ftp and more generally ICMP not yet
or not possible.

As far as I know, IP masquerading is something unique, and not available in
any commercial Unix or not-Unix OS.

Now, IP masquerading is true for Linux, and quite proven to work in my own
trials, but my question is about freeBSD, wondering whether the same kind of
support is or will be planned in the future.

Also, ptroot@uswest.com wrote:
>Try
>   ifconfig [adapter] alias [ip address]

Indeed I've not tried yet. However, being not sure about what IP alias
really means, I think that IP masquerading is a a different thing than IP
aliasing, the latter entailing some IP 'true' address to be centrally
released anyway, though aliased. I will check out as soon as possible.

Thanks for your replies.

rgds, Marco Masotti