Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 02:27:51 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another possible solution for non-sendmail users

Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:

> Given that non-sendmail users will be inconvenienced when upgrading due to
> the 8.12 changes (need to change sendmail_enable from "NO" to "NONE"), I
> thought it might be better to give them something back for their trouble.
>
> As an alternative to sendmail_enable=NONE, why not solve the boot time
> problem for non-sendmail users completely.  The patch moves all of the
> sendmail startup code from /etc/rc to /etc/rc.sendmail.  The source for
> that script will be kept in src/etc/sendmail/rc.sendmail so make.conf's
> NO_SENDMAIL will prevent it from being installed.  A new rc.conf variable,
> mta_start_script specifies the script to run to start the user's
> preferred MTA.  For backward compatibility, it will default to
> /etc/rc.sendmail.  The specified script is called out of /etc/rc after
> checking to make sure it exists.
>
> I've also taken the opportunity to use /etc/rc.sendmail in
> /etc/mail/Makefile to reduce code duplication.  A new rc.sendmail.8 man
> page has also been added which now houses the sendmail_* variable
> descriptions formerly in rc.conf.5.
>
> In a somewhat unrelated note, I also plan on arranging to move the
> sendmail-specific stuff out of src/etc/mail/ and into src/etc/sendmail so
> the installation of things like sample sendmail maps, etc. don't clutter a
> NO_SENDMAIL installation.  I'll need to arrange this event with the CVS
> repomeisters.  Hopefully, this change (along with the patch) will make
> things more palatable for non-sendmail users.
>
> The patch is against -CURRENT but should give -STABLE users a good idea of my
> intentions.  It is available at:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gshapiro/mta-start
>
> Opinions?

Brilliant! I suppose you just threw this together :)

One small quibble. If I want to set
mta_start_script=""

and run rc.sendmail(.sh) from /usr/local/etc/rc.d
shouldn't "stop" kill both queues? You'd need to add
a stop-mtaq obviously.

A global restart might be nice too.

[If this is mindless drivel, just ignore:- need sleep.]

--
ian j hart