Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:11:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        Parker Brown <phbrown@GTE.NET>
Cc:        support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Can I Install Lynx On The 2.2.5 Release

Apparently between the time 2.2.5-R was released there was a update (I'm
assuming since the mod time at the Master Site is 971124 ,etc; which is
after the release of 2.2.5) lynx.  I was able to build Lynx from the ports
by making the following changes to the Makefile [NOTE: the only changes
were to DISTNAME, PKGNAME and MASTER_SITE]:

# New ports collection makefile for:    lynx
# http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/
# Version required:     2.7.1ac
# Date created:         15 Dec 1994
# Whom:                 ache
#
# $Id: Makefile,v 1.71 1997/11/24 19:35:30 ache Exp $
#

DISTNAME=       lynx2.7.1ac-0.97
PKGNAME=        lynx-2.7.1ac-0.97
CATEGORIES=	www
MASTER_SITES=   ftp://sol.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/

MAINTAINER=	ache@FreeBSD.ORG

WRKSRC=         ${WRKDIR}/lynx2-7-1
GNU_CONFIGURE=  YES
CONFIGURE_ARGS= --with-screen=ncurses --with-zlib --libdir="${PREFIX}/etc"
MAKEFILE=       makefile
MAN1=		lynx.1

.include <bsd.port.mk>

You'll probably have to build lynx with the following option:

	make NO_CHECKSUM=yes install

This worked for me on a fresh install on a 'virgin' hard drive.

Hope this helps.

- burton -

PS: If you're not familiar with building applications from the ports
collection, just cd /usr/ports/www/lynx and execute the above make command
as root (as long as you have installed the ports collection :-) ).