Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:00:31 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ejler Ottesen <ejlero@aies.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Characters, screens too big

[ Redirected to -questions.]

On 2002-06-03 16:31 -0700, Ejler Ottesen wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have spent 5-10 hours to try to modify XF86Config file to adjust
> to my 17" CTX 1765D.
>
> The KDE disappears on top of the screen and the characters and
> screens are far too big.

You will probably find it worthy to check out this page:

	http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

It has helped me set up the ModeLine's of my XF86Config file many
times.  This seems like a timing problem with the frequencies used in
the modes of your XF86Config file.  The screen is "too big" to fit
your monitor because you are using a "virtual desktop" size, and X11
fires up in a resolution that can't display everything.  Try either:

a) Disabling virtual desktop.
b) Switching to another resolution with <CTRL> + <ALT> + <-/+> using
   the '-' and '+' keys of the numeric keypad.

> I am looking anywhere for information. My partner has told me that I
> need to switch XF86 to 4.0 from 3.5.5 (in current version)

You should post general questions like this to the FreeBSD questions
mailing list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> since it's not a bug in
KDE or X11 or FreeBSD, but a configuration problem.

- Giorgos