Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:45:08 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVidia driver not using AGP?

On 11/30/04 11:27 AM, Kenneth Culver sat at the `puter and typed:
> Quoting Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>:
>
> > <SNIP>
>
> Wrong. From nvidia's readme:
> Similar to the NVIDIA Linux Driver Set, the user can decide if the NVIDIA
> driver should use its internal AGP GART driver or if it should rely on an
> OS provided AGP GART driver with the "NvAGP" XFree86 config file option:
>
>   - Option "NvAGP" "0"       Disable AGP
>   - Option "NvAGP" "1"       Use NVIDIA's AGP GART Driver
>   - Option "NvAGP" "2"       Use the OS AGP GART driver (agp.ko)
>   - Option "NvAGP" "3"       Attempt "2", fall back to "1"
>
> If you want to use the OS's AGP driver, you'll have NvAGP set to 2, you
> have it
> set to 0, which means NO agp at all.

<SLAP to the forehead>
I stand corrected.  I'll try setting it to 2 when I get home this
evening.

> <SNIP>
>
> The video on my machine is still fairly responsive with the AGP turned off as
> well, and several games are playable as well, but that doesn't mean AGP is on.
> Your system most definitely has AGP turned off... and I'm willing to bet that
> if you set NvAGP to 2 in order to use the OS's agp, you'd either crash, or it
> just wouldn't work.

I don't think it will crash.  IIRC, before I explicitly turned AGP off,
I was getting a message saying that the NVidia AGP was failing, and it
was falling back to the native AGP.  I'll try a few different settings,
and I'll rebuild the drivers with the NVidia AGP enabled if the native
driver doesn't work.

The real kicker is that you have to rebuild the darn kernel if you want
to disable the native AGP driver . . .  I'll go ahead and do that if the
native AGP winds up not working - no sense building it in if it won't
work, right?

I'll post the result tonight.

Thanks for straightening me out there!

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Finagle's Eighth Law:
  If an experiment works, something has gone wrong.