Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:43:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Phil Gambrel <gambrel.phil@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing font sizes in X

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:50:39PM -0700, Phil Gambrel wrote:
=20
> My problem seemed to be from my desire to have an 800 X 600 display which=
 I can read, even without my glasses, instead of the 1280 X 1024 my monitor=
 is capable of displaying.  With the higher resolution display, I was able =
to launch an X server, and loaded up Gnome with enlightenment.  Now I have =
these itty-bitty little menus and icons which I can only read by tilting my=
 head back and looking through the bottom of my bi-focals.  I am an old man=
, and the neck doesn't flex like it did when I only had to read a 40 column=
 monochrome screen.
>=20
> How can I enlarge my fonts/menus/icons without giving up the high resolut=
ion needed for all the pictures of the grand-kids?

Generally you can switch screen resolutions by typing:

    Ctrl-Alt-KeypadPlus

or=20

    Ctrl-Alt-KeypadMinus

This will cycle through all of the available resolutions, forward or
backward.  It will change the display resolution, but not the desktop
size, so you'll end up with a visible region showing part of the
desktop that you can move around by moving the mouse cursor near to
the edges of the screen.

You can configure the order of the screen resolutions and colour
depths available and which gets displayed by default by editing
"Screen" section of the /etc/X11/XF96Config file: the XF86Config(5)
man page will help, but Googling for instructions will probably help
better.

Another trick you might find useful is to edit the XF86Config file,
and in the "Files" section, reorder the entries so that the
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/" comes before the
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/" line, if it doesn't already. That
will make all of the fonts appear larger.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way