Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:26:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan O'Brien <dmobrien_2001@yahoo.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA CDROM Problems 4.6 (and 4.6.1)

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1328863+1332076+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20020714.freebsd-stable

> I'll give'r a go and report back.

This patch deletes an splx() and adds two others in dev/ata/atapi-all.c

The patch would not "apply" so I editted the file by hand.

The patch is NG.  Reading large file from ata cdrom fails with the read
big time out still.

I noticed this posting:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=529995+538169+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20020721.freebsd-stable

where the user has applied all the recommended patches and still has
the problem.

Further, this was an interesting read:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1030549+1038838+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20020623.freebsd-stable

that discusses "Why FreeBSD" and why 4.6 was released with the ATA
bugs.

I've been a FreeBSD user a long time, and would chase current, but I
don't have that much free time. But I do want to continue using FreeBSD
and keep up to date with a stable system, thus I've been applying only
the CDROM releases since about 4.2.  (4.5 was very nice with USB
support -- about keeps up with Linux as a desk top system.) Then I
apply 4.6 and WHAM, broken system.  I've very dismayed.  I still have
the 4.5 sources and may just build world back to it.

I know developers want to make improvements and experiment with new and
better, but to ship a system with broken hardware support -- and no
fixes yet -- is unfortunate.  To quote the author in the above posting:
"FreeBSD is an extremely stable, well performing, well tested, server
OS that runs reliably on comparatively inexpensive hardware".  What
happened?

I'm still willing to test any suggested software fixes.

Cheers,

=====
Dan O'Brien, dmobrien_2001@yahoo.com
Cell: 614-783-4859  Work: 614-476-8473