Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:30:02 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Single User Mode?

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:11:48AM -0800, Chris Maness wrote:
> In the make file for /usr/src it says I need to boot into single user=20
> mode.  Is this possible from a remote connection (I don't think it is)? =
=20
> Do I have to be in single user mode to do the following?:
>=20
> # 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader promp=
t).
> # 6.  `mergemaster -p'
> # 7.  `make installworld'
> # 8.  `mergemaster'
> # 9.  `reboot'
>=20
> I administer this box by remote.

You absolutely need to in certain situations.  Sometimes (even often)
you can get away without it, but sometimes your system won't reboot to
multiuser mode unless you do those steps.

Look into setting up a serial console; this is the "remote single user
mode" you're looking for.

Kris

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--