Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 13:55:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS server problems on 3.4-S, any interest?

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :>From the workstation:
> :Name  Mtu   Network   Ipkts      Ierrs    Opkts    Oerrs Coll  Drop
> :fxp0  1500  <Link#1>  32102492     0      31653667   0   30900   0
> :
> :>From the fileserver:
> :Name  Mtu   Network   Ipkts      Ierrs    Opkts    Oerrs Coll   Drop
> :xl0   1500  <Link>    32504173    28967   32900227   0    0       0
> :
> :	I did find it a little unusual that I was getting collisions on a
> :crossover cable, but when I looked at the mail archives related to that
> :problem I read that the intel cards are very aggressive packet pushers,
> :and that this isn't all that unusual. The ratio of good packets to
> :collisions seemed healthy enough to not warrant too much concern.
>
>     28967 input errors on xl0?  Problem!

	heh... ok, I can take a hint.

>     But the real problem is that you are attempting to do 10BaseT
>     full-duplex.  Full-duplex operation with 10BaseT is problematic
>     at best.  Full duplex has good interoperability at 100BaseTX speeds,
>     but not at 10BaseT speeds.

	Ok, I learned something new. :) I've had "get another fxp0 and a
real switch" for the home network on my list for a while now, I guess it's
time to move that up a little.

>     Crossover cables work fine, usually, but I personally *never* use them.
>     I always throw a switch in between the machines and let it negotiate
>     the duplex mode with each machine independantly, plus it gives me nice
>     shiny LEDs that tell me what the switch thinks the port is doing as
>     a sanity check.

	Yeah, I miss the blinky lights. I went to the x-over cable because
the hub I bought originally was giving me non-stop collisions under
load. It worked really well for about 5 months, then the last couple
months it's given me problems. I'm still learning the whole networking
thing, so I appreciate the insight.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire