Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:30:44 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Future of RAIDFrame

All,

I started RAIDframe three years ago with the hope of bringing a proven
and extensible RAID stack to FreeBSD.  Unfortunately, while it was made
to work pretty well on 4.x, it has never been viable on 5.x; it never
survived the introduction of GEOM and removal of the old disk layer.
I'm coming to the conclusion that I really don't have the time to work
on it in my spare time.  Also, I've seen next to zero interest in it
from others, except for the occasional reminder that it doesn't work.

I still believe in it, and I still believe that it can be integrated
into GEOM and become the all-singing-all-dancing raid engine for the
OS.  It will probably never be an LVM stack, but I've also always
believed that LVM and RAID are related but separate layers.  It can
certainly build upon whatever LVM layer appears in GEOM.  All it needs
is one or two other people to share some of the work and testing
with me.

I have a Work-In-Progress for converting and integrating it into GEOM
on my home Perforce server.  It hasn't been touched in several months
and I really don't see myself being able to finish alone it in the near
future.  Since it's been hanging over my head for so long, I'm very,
very close to just removing it and moving on.  If anyone has the
interest AND time available to help out with keeping it, please let
me know ASAP.

Scott