Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:22:08 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI Regression in -CURRENT?

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:18:26PM +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>:
>=20
> | Hi Thorsten,
> |=20
> | On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:42:18PM +0200, Thorsten Greiner wrote:
> | > some time ago several people (including me) reported ACPI related pro=
blems
> | > on various Dell laptops resulting in error messages of the form
> | >=20
> | >         ACPI-0293: *** Warning: Buffer created with zero length in AML
> | >=20
> | > During the 5.1 release process these problems have been temporarily f=
ixed.
> |=20
> | This is due to the Dell laptops having an invalid ACPI table in the BIO=
S.
> | The only way to avoid these messages is to tell FreeBSD ACPI to override
> | the vendor supplied table with a correct one.
> |=20
> | Mark Santcroos developed a patch which worked on his C640 and my Inspir=
on
> | 4150, which you can find attached. Here are the steps to use it: [...]
>=20
> I tried that on my Inspiron 4150 with 5.1-RELEASE.  The patch failed,
> but only for trivial reasons like different placment of braces.

Note that you have to patch the output of iasl -d, *NOT* the .asl file
that acpidump generates. There is a difference although they look alike.

Don't ask me what the meaning of all this is, I'm just the messenger :)

> So I applied it by hand and followed directions, but the warning messages
> did not go away.  I know my efforts did *something* though, as I find
> this in dmesg output:
>=20
> Preloaded acpi_dsdt "/boot/acpi_dsdt.aml" at 0xc055c1cc.
> [...]
> ACPI: DSDT was overridden.
>     ACPI-0375: *** Info: Table [DSDT] replaced by host OS

That's ok, but I think you patched & compiled the wrong file.
I *know* it works because I also have an Inspiron 4150.

> Also, I still cannot suspend the machine: acpiconf -s <number> results
> in a variety of interesting behaviour, always ending with the machine
> in a useless state (except acpiconf -s 5, which does what it should -
> like halt -p).

acpiconf -s 4 works, now that I have reinstalled the laptop with a suspend
partition as the first primary partition. You need the Dell utility mks2d.e=
xe
for this, available somewhere on the Dell website.

> Actually, acpiconf -s 3 seems to "almost" work: The
> screen goes blank, and the machine turns itself off - only to turn
> back on immediately, but with the screen remaining blank.  So I hit
> Fn-F8 a couple of times, and lo and behold the screen is alive again
> and the machine is responsive once more.  I did this from a console,
> but when I do Ctrl-Alt-F9 the X server is hosed: Wrong colours,
> garbage in the top of the screen, and zero response to any
> keypresses.

According to Mark, this actually should work from within X -- something
to do with DPMS. I haven't gotten around to testing it after my reinstall
though (*cough*Zelda:WW*cough* :)

> Can you suspend yours?  Any more clever tricks?  (Hmm, I suppose we
> should discuss this on -mobile, but since the thread started here...)

The ACPI thing got more coverage on -current, but the suspend stuff is
probably -mobile topic, yeah :)

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
"Diane, 2:15 in the afternoon, November 14. Entering town of Twin Peaks.
 Five miles south of the Canadian border, twelve miles west of the state
 line. Never seen so many trees in my life. As W.C. Fields would say, I'd
 rather be here than Philadelphia."
		-- Special Agent Dale Cooper, "Twin Peaks"

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5--