Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:02:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Laurent <laurent.bar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD6] kinfo_size mismatch

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Laurent wrote:

> I've recently upgraded my AMD64 FreeBSD station from 5.4 to 6.0 using
> the handbook method.
>
> Everything seems to work OK but I have the message after repeating every
> second on tty1 after I log on X :
>
> kvm_open : kinfo_proc size mismatch (expected 912 got 1088).
>
> After some search on Internet I gave an eye to /usr/src/sys/sys/user.h
> for kinfo_proc_size values, but the right value (1088) is already set
> for amd64.
>
> So I don't know how to solve this problem, and I'm quite afraid to touch
> some souce code on my system.

This is almost certainly a mismatch between the kernel version and a
monitoring tool that is trying to inspect kernel state (specifically,
retrieve process lists).  If your buildworld/installworld doesn't match
your kernel version, then you need to rebuild and make sure everything is
in sync.  If it does, it's probably a third-party package that is out of
sync and needs updating.

Robert N M Watson