Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:52:21 -0500
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
Subject:   Re: Autoloading Tape Drives

Brian Scott wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any autoloading tape drives that they've had
> success with?  I have about 15 gigs that need backed up nightly.

A variation that you might consider is to do your nightly
backups to a large disk. Multiple backups from multiple machines
can run simultaneously, unlike a tape. Then, if you really need
to save the backups on a tape, you can run the backup disk off
to a tape during the day, when there is a person available to deal
with the inevitable problems. Also, it's *much* easier to restore
from the backup disk than from a tape (speaking from the "oops I
really didn't intend to delete that file" experience!).

We've been doing this for about 3 years now. We use bru as our
backup software, and either ftp or ssh the backups across our
network to the backup machine. For our purposes, we don't even
need the tape at all, as we keep about 2 weeks of backups online.
Anything we really need to keep for a long time, we burn to a
cd-rom.

Carol
--
Carol Deihl - carol@tinker.com
Shrier and Deihl - Unix Network Admin and Internet Software Development