Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:59:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/18291: ports collection make macro oddities: make fetch fails after version upgrade

>Number:         18291
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       make makesum fetches new sources, make fetch not
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	FreeBSD titan.klemm.gtn.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Apr 21 19:59:37 CEST 2000     root@titan.klemm.gtn.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/TITAN  i386

	When updating a port for a new release, it's not possible to
	simply type "make" or "make fetch", since this fails in
	"make fetch", see below.
	You have to type in "make makesum", which results in a working
	make fetch and which updates the md5 file.
	Old behaviour was more consistant.
	You couls either simply type in "make" or "make fetch"
	You got the new sources.
	When proceeding, you get the md5 checksum mismatch, which you
	can easily resolve with a "make makesum".
	This is consistent and intuitive.
	I think its inconsistent now, because a make fetch, which is
	needed anyway to get the new sources, always fails.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Now (when upgrading zebra and other ports) I update the version
	in Makefile and then do a make:
	andreas@titan{1070} $ make
	>> zebra-0.86.tar.gz is not in /home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/akl/net/zebra/files/md5.
	>> Either /home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/akl/net/zebra/files/md5 is out of date, or
	>> zebra-0.86.tar.gz is spelled incorrectly.
	*** Error code 1

	Don't know what design issues have been discussed or implemented

	But I think old behaviour is more consistent, since new behaviour
	doesn't allow to split the required actions in two single parts

		- make fetch	(which fails on the commandline)
		- make makesum

>Fix:

	???