Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:39:28 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 + Apache + PHP

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca> wrote:

> So far as I am aware, php5 must be built from ports only if you need to
> build mod_php for apache. If you use php-fpm with apache you can use binary
> packages for everything. I'm trying to work through a packages-only system
> with nginx, php, php extensions, and MariaDB/MySQL) all installed using
> binary packages. I'm hoping that using pkg to upgrade binary packages will
> be a huge time savings over "postmaster -af", but the critical thing (from
> what I've read) is to have a 100% binary packages system (with absolutely
> nothing from ports).
>
> Certainly it has been shown hybrid solutions are possible, but I'd rather
> be a dumb user and spend more time on app dev.

I had hoped that I could install mod_php (or at least the shared objects in
libexec/apache/) via package, without having to resort to ports.  I too
want to manage hosts exclusively with binary packages.  In the absence of a
working a Poudriere implementation, it appears I will have to install it
via ports. :(

Thanks for the info.

--
Take care