Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:38:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   make buildworlds

They're failing for me, but only when I build them under -j > 1.  If I
don't use -j at all, they build just fine.  I've done at least 5 builds
now testing this, so I know it works fine for no -j, and that it dies at
the same point if I up the # of jobs with -j.

This isn't, I think, a "resup and rebuild" problem, seeing as I've done
that three times so far, and also seeing as the builds work just fine
without -j.

Two things are stopping me from hunting down the problem on my own.  If
it wasn't an smp problem, I could do it.  The first part of the problem
is that, in the listing I have now, I used -j 8, and I am not sure from
reading the listing, which particular session (out of 8) did the deed.
I am just not sure how to interpret the somewhat fractured listing you
get when you do the -j 8.

The other thing is, I'm not sure what kind of makefile stuff is done to
make things smp-safe.  I know makefiles in general, but I guess this is
either a little esoteric for me, or I haven't seen the right docs on it.

I'm going to post, right after this, the last full page of listing from
the buildworld that failed.  If you have any comment that might be
enlightening about what specifically died from the immediate error
message "make: not found", I'd appreciate it.  I'm trying to see what
part of the build actually failed.

I'd also appreciate any kind of pointer as to a specific fix that was
made to ANY makefile, for smp purposes.  Thanks.

(Mind the fact that my mailer wraps long lines)
----------------------------error listing------------------------------
--- vidcontrol.o ---
cc -O2 -pipe -Wall   -I/usr2/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol/vidcontrol.c
--- decode.o ---
cc -O2 -pipe -Wall   -I/usr2/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol/decode.c
--- vidcontrol.1.gz ---
gzip -cn /usr/src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol/vidcontrol.1 > vidcontrol.1.gz
--- vidcontrol ---
cc -O2 -pipe -Wall   -I/usr2/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/include  -o
vidcontrol vidcontrol.o decode.o
===> secure
--- all ---
===> secure/lib
--- all ---
===> secure/lib/libcipher
--- cipher.3.gz ---
gzip -cn /usr/src/secure/lib/libcipher/cipher.3 > cipher.3.gz
===> secure/lib/libdes
--- des_crypt.3 ---
cp /usr/src/secure/lib/libdes/des_crypt.man des_crypt.3
--- des_crypt.3.gz ---
gzip -cn des_crypt.3 > des_crypt.3.gz
===> secure/usr.bin
--- all ---
===> secure/usr.bin/bdes
--- bdes.o ---
--- bdes.1.gz ---
--- bdes.o ---
cc -O2 -pipe   -I/usr2/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -c
/usr/src/secure/usr.bin/bdes/bdes.c
--- bdes.1.gz ---
gzip -cn /usr/src/secure/usr.bin/bdes/bdes.1 > bdes.1.gz
--- bdes ---
cc -O2 -pipe   -I/usr2/obj/elf/usr/src/tmp/usr/include
-L/usr2/obj/elf/usr/src/secure/usr.bin/bdes/../../lib/libcipher -o bdes
bdes.o  -lcipher
===> etc
--- all ---
===> etc/sendmail
--- freebsd.cf ---
rm -f freebsd.cf
(cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail &&  m4
-D_CF_DIR_=/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/
/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc) >
freebsd.cf
chmod 444 freebsd.cf
make: not found
*** Error code 127
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).