Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:33:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Competition

On 20 Aug 2000, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
> >
> > This is very true, though fortunately only half-true.  The resources
> > for doing a quality FreeBSD/sparc port are actually present in the
> > community, they're just lying dormant, like gophers in the winter. :)
>
> You mean "The NetBSD code base is easy enough to copy and call our
> own. Why don't we just do it. Surely they aren't going to complain --
> after all, it is all open source. It worked for Alpha, after all."

I don't think that this is a fair characterization, Perry. The FreeBSD port
bootstrapped itself this way, but has changed significantly since then.
Snide comments ill-become you.

> By the way, those wanting to run an open source BSD on a Sparc today
> can just download our stuff. It works. Its clean. It is in no obvious
> way inferior to anything you could possibly produce after a large
> amount of your own effort taking our code. If there are things you
> don't like about the way it works, we happily take fixes.

See other mail as to why this might not be the right approach for FreeBSD.

As soon as I get more cycles, Perry, I plan to help the sparc64 NetBSD port
along. I see it as a separate project from anything in FreeBSD.