Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:15:07 +0100
From:      Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 09:34:41PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Mark Ovens writes:
> >On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 09:55:58AM +0100, Michael Elbel wrote:
> >> Set your editor to gnuclient and it will do what you want
> >> (export EDITOR=gnuclient).
> >
> >OK, I've done that (well, ``setenv EDITOR gnuclient'' as I use csh(1)).
> >

> Seems to me that gnuclient is an xemacs-ism. With emacs I thinks it's
> called emacsclient (could be wrong). There's also an emacsserver in
> there. I found this by grep'ing the PLIST for emacs20.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Looks like the FSF folks haven't adopted
gnuserv/gnuclient as an enhancement to emacsclient. It's only in xemacs,
the elisp file even states that it won't run on FSFmacs :-(

Gnuclient provides a couple of useful features over emacsclient like
allowing the execution of arbitrary elisp from the commandline via the
gnudoit program.

> this is also an xemacs-ism. Check out the emacs help, there should be
> a mention of emacsclient or emacsserver in there somewhere.

Yes, sorry again, I would guess you just need to call server-start from
your .emacs file.

Michael

--
\|/