Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:14:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FFS performance improvements?

(sorry for the crossposting, replies should probably
go to -fs)

Hi;

I heard a complaint on the FreeBSD lists about
journalling being faster than softupdates. While I'm
not extremely interested in comparisons with other
fs's that I can't use, I do recall it is possible to
enhance FFS speed with the tricks used in CFFS. JIC
ppl forgot, and since it is a good reference, the
classic document is here:

http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/pubs.html (under Storage
Management)

Of the two tricks explained there, explicit grouping
gave the most significant performance improvements,
without causing problematic side effects.

I've been "bugging" the only two persons I know that
might have some patches for this with the following
results:

__________
I considered doing the co-location game in UFS2, but
in the end
decided that the performance gain was not sufficient
to take the
effort to do it. So, I put my effort into other
things.

	Kirk McKusick
__________

C-FFS required changes to OpenBSD so that the buffer
cache would cache
raw disk blocks and would consult those cached raw
disk blocks before
going to the disk device.

I do have some old patches and I'll try to dig them
up. It was my first
kernel project for BSD unix and is definitely nowhere
close to
production quality. (probaby lots of mistakes related
to concurrency and
resource management)

http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~csapuntz/cffs.tar.gz

-Costa
__________

So, my questions are...

1) Although porting C-FFS is probably not the way to
go, do we need to modify the VM to fulfill the
requirements, or perhaps this is something GEOM can
do? (sorry I don't have clear exactly what GEOM does,
but it would seem somewhat related to caching raw
disks)

2) Since I'm not really into kernel hacking, if I do
find the patches for FFS is someone interested in
playing with them in exchange for improvements of
"just" between 10-50% with small files ?? ;).

cheers,

   Pedro.