Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:22:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rishi Chopra <idfubar@yahoo.com>
To:        Phil Schulz <ph.schulz@gmx.de>, rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2.1 Install Error (Unable To Find Device Node)

--- Phil Schulz <ph.schulz@gmx.de> wrote:
> >>RAID array.
>
> [...]
>
> > I see "Adaptec 2400A ATA-100 RAID controller (
> asr(4)
> > driver)" in the list; do I need to do anything
> > special, or will the driver load with the standard
> mfs
> > and kernel floppies?
>
> Rishi,
>
> I'm sorry but I don't /know/. But the driver floppy
> image doesn't have
> the driver included (according to the DRIVERS.TXT
> file) - it is possible
> that the driver is not included on the floppies just
> to save space. You
> might want to download the miniinst.iso from

ftp://ftp.<CHANGE_THIS>.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/5.2.1/5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso

> burn it to a blank cd and see if you can boot from
> the CD. Note that the
> URL above is for the i386 platform (ordinary PC)
> only. For other
> platforms, you'll need to go to the respective
> directory on the FTP
> server - I guess you'll find the file :-)
>
> Phil.

My understanding is that DRIVERS.TXT applies only to
the additional driver floppy, and that all supported
hardware is included with the installation floppies.
The BIOS does indeed boot for the array, and the array
is intact; can you think of anything else that would
prevent the installation?  The array also shows up as
asr0 when /stand/sysinstall boots.

=====
Rishi Chopra
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra