Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:34:48 +0000
From:      David Chanters <david.chanters@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Migrating from Linux (keeping partitions at install time)

Hi all,

I am considering switching from Debian Linux to FreeBSD.  I am
wondering if at install time, sysinstall is able to allow me to keep
"/home" from my Debian installation.  "/home" on Debian is currently a
separate partition in its own right, mounted as RXT3.  I only have the
one hard disk in my machine.

So, questions:

1.  Can the installer be told to not touch "/home" at install time (I
appreciate I would have to ensure I mapped the current /dev/hda2
terminology to slices in BSD parlance)

2.  Does the fact that this is an EXT3 partition matter?  (I have read
FreeBSD supports ext2, and ext3 is just ext2 with a journal, so it can
be mounted as ext2 if needed).

3.  Is it possible/beneficial to convert this to UFS once FreeBSD is installed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David