Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2001 12:27:21 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lucent modem with module gets no dial tone

I am temporarily in a Thinkpad A21m, using the drive from my A21p.

Everything but X and the modem has been seamless.

X has a workaround, but the modem is being uncooperative.

It's supposedly the same modem (I believe modem and ethernet [which
works] are  both on the same option card, and that it's the same card),
and is found on startup:

ltmdm0: <Lucent Winmodem> port 0x1840-0x1847 mem 0xf4121000-0xf4121fff irq 11 at
 device 3.1 on pci0
ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A

the ltmdm module loads fine.  I fire up the ppp program, enter term,
and I can talk the modem.  It gets no dial tone, however, and I"ve
tried three different phone lines.  Any ideas (in particular, any quick
ideas, so I can have irc during my football game tonight? :)

thanks

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail