Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:37:51 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Alexandre Ratchov <alex-contact@caoua.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Subject:   Re: What apps are known to work with Mat's MIDI patches?

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:42:43 +0200
Alexandre Ratchov <alex-contact@caoua.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:02:27PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > The only reason for this post is that I'm curious about just how
> > satisfactory alternative (1) above would be.  Assuming a kernel
> > with a properly configured MIDI port (connected to an external
> > synth, of course), what applications will I be able to use with
> > this?  I know that many of the current MIDI applications for Linux
> > require ALSA, so that rules out quite a few of them right there. So
> > what's left, then?  I need a lot more than just simple MIDI
> > playback; I want to be able to create my own sequences, preferably
> > using my MIDI keyboard as an input device.
> >
> > Anyone currently doing anything in this area who could offer some
> > opinions?
> >

> hello,
>
> I didn't have enough time to test MIDI support, but since "Midish"
> uses the OSS API, it should work on freebsd.
>
> Currently i'm using it on other platforms, but if someone tries it, i
> would really like to know if it works satisfactory on freebsd.
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Alexandre

Hmm, interesting.  I've bookmarked the link and will check it out ASAP.

I've already decided that my previously mentioned alternative (2) was a
tad *too* drastic.  :-)  I'm now scouting around for a reasonably
priced IDE hard drive to install on my remaining spare controller, where
I can then install Gentoo without having to wipe out my FreeBSD
installation.  I've put *way* too much time and effort into my existing
setup to simply overwrite it just like that.  :-)  It looks like Office
Depot, of all places, has some very good deals on 200 GB Maxtor drives.
I may just go and pick one up later today at the local outlet.

Anyway, one way or another, I *will* have a working MIDI setup
here, and soon!  I am so eager to get back into this, I can hardly
stand it.  I have never really fully explored everything that this
keyboard of mine (a Yamaha SO3) is capable of.  Should be quite
interesting, not to mention just plain *fun*!  :-)

It will be interesting, I think, to do a cross-comparison of MIDI apps
and functionality between FreeBSD (with Mat's MIDI patches) and Gentoo.
Should keep me occupied for quite some time, I'm sure.  :-)

In the meantime, Mat, are you still looking to add es137x support to
your patch set?  I'm still hoping to avoid any unnecessary hardware
purchases, as my financial situation is currently far from where I'd
like it to be.  :-)  I just wish my low-level hardware programming
skills were better than they are, so I could possibly contribute
something meaningful to the code base.  I'm competent enough as far as
general C programming goes, but all of my attempts to explore the
kernel, hardware drivers, etc. have left my head in a spin.  :-)  I
have nothing but the greatest admiration for those who are working at
that level and producing useful code.  No small feat, for sure!

Anyway, enough said for now.  I'll post a later followup with any
interesting and/or pertinent info.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"