Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:05:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd.ph@gmail.com (jan gestre)
Cc:        Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: getting rid of apache passphrase

> hello people,
>
> just want to ask if getting rid of the apache passphrase poses a security
> threat, i don't want the company i worked for calling me up everytime they
> cant access the webserver because the server is asking for the passphrase
> everytime the box restarts du to power failure.

Depends on how good your control of access to the server is.
In my case for example, I control physical access to the machine.
That could be, and has been a problem when I was away and power
went out, to get things back up, so I got rid of the passphrase.
Now, as long as the fsck-s clear at boot time, the server makes
it all the way back up without intervention.

But, if you have a lot of people running around, even if ignorant,
then you might want to think again about eliminating it.

It is less likely to be a concern for remote access, but could come
up, especially if someone gets root to your server.   Of course, then
all bets are off anyway.

////jerry