Date:      16 Dec 1997 23:25:52 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Dale Walker <dale@icr.com.au>, Jason Evans <jasone@cannonware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ FreeBSD-Sparc [frequent posting]

[Jason Evans (jasone@cannonware.com)]
> There is talk of a source tree restructuring, but my feeling is that we
> should put this off as long as possible, so that when we do it, we have a
> good idea of what we're trying to achieve.

Just FYI: There is support for multiple architectures in bsd.subdir.mk
already - if a <directory>.${MACHINE} exists, it will be preferred
over the general version.

John Mark Gurney <jmg@freebsd.org> is probably your best contact on
this, possible along with Jason Thorpe of NetBSD (jason@netbsd.org).

> Assumptions about the size of int will need fixed.

OK, what assumptions are correct on UltraSPARC?  (Here comes a set of
possible assumptions; could you try to say which are wrong, and I'll
try to fix the places where some of them occur?)

1.   (void*)(int)(void*) is lossless AKA
	Pointers can be stored in an int
2.   (void*)(long)(void*) is lossless AKA
	Pointers can be stored in a long
4.   (void*)(any type*)(void*) is lossless AKA
	Different pointer types are equal
8.   sizeof(int) == sizeof(long)
16.  sizeof(short)*CHAR_BIT == 16
32.  sizeof(int)*CHAR_BIT   == 32
64.  sizeof(int)  == 2*sizeof(short)
128. sizeof(long) == 2*sizeof(short)

Just add up the numbers of the points that are wrong and give us the
sum :-) (Feel free to add more points by the same scheme first)

Eivind.