Date:      Thu, 28 May 2009 00:58:33 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Avoiding source code on production servers

Doug Barton wrote:
[...]
> I've submitted a proposal to the Foundation twice to extend portmaster
> with similar functionality, but I haven't made the cut yet. I am still
> interested in obtaining funding for this project, and this looks like
> as good an opportunity as any to put that idea in front of new
> eyeballs. Please take a look at the URL below, and anyone who has
> ideas on how I might go about obtaining funding for this project feel
> please let me know.
>

> Regards,
>
> Doug
>
> http://dougbarton.us/portmaster-proposal.html

As I am one of the users waiting for the feature:
"H. Add support for shutdown and startup of services."
I am suggesting more general interface for
deinstall/preinstall/postinstall action hooks. Not just stop & start
services, but allow users to define any shell command(s) to be executed
in given [de|pre|post]install stage.
Similar to BEFOREDEINSTALL, AFTERINSTALL... in pkgtools.conf of
portupgrade, where one can define for example:

     'security/courier-authlib*' => proc { |origin|
         cmd_real_restart_rc(origin) + ';
         chmod 0755 /var/run/authdaemond'
     },

It will be useful to define any commands, for example some logging
patterns, e-mail alerts to operators, or shutdown another depending
services (one may want to stop Apache, Postfix etc. if those services
depends on MySQL and MySQL is the deinstalled package)

I was trying to hack it on my own few month ago, but end up with ENOTIME
(+ ENOSKILLS) :o)

This is #1 on my wish list for improvements of portmaster.
(#2 is support of binary packages)

I hope you will succeed with funding.

Thank you for your work on portmaster! (my primary ports tool)

Miroslav Lachman