Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 07:24:30 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: troublesome log messages

Quoting Andy Farkas                                Wednesday, July 26, 2000
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Ben Williams wrote:

>> >  # dd if=/dev/wd0s1c of=/dev/null bs=64k
>>
>> The disk on that system are laid out like:
>>
>> $ mount
>> /dev/wd0a on / (local)
>> /dev/wd0s1e on /tmp (local)
>>
>> Will the slices interfere with the dd command? This is a production
>> machine so I don't want to take any chances.

> I shouldv'e explained this a bit further, sorry.

> What you are trying to do with the dd command is read the entire disk and
> look for i/o errors on the console.  The wd0s1c slice is the entire disk,
> but I can't remember if just /dev/wd0 will also work.  Again, you are just
> trying to cause FreeBSD to read every sector on the disk, ala scandisk.
> It won't really affect the system, other than major seeking when other
> procs do disk i/o.

OK, thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I did something possibly
dangerous.

> If this is a production system, I strongly suggest you start backing up!
> :-)

Yea, umm .. well ... you see that's another issue. }8-/
I've been trying to find a way to actually USE a <Seagate STT8000A/5.51>
on another system to do (network) backups for all of the critical
machines for a little over a month now.

/snippage/

> Depends on what the box does.  I don't think there is any correlation
> between uptime and faults.

Ok. I wont worry about "faults" w/r vm then.

/snippage/

> Uptimes are meaningless, or prove that you don't upgrade...

>  9:06PM  up 360 days, 18:45, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

>  257144160 total VM faults taken

> It runs 2.2.7-release.  But enough spanking the monkey...

8-))

/snippage/

--Ben Williams
mailto:received@email dot com