Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:35:49 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Shell script containing passwords.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:06:37PM +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:56:08PM +0000, Peter Risdon wrote:
<snip>
> > Not that I know of, but have you considered compiling apache with
> > suexec? Assuming your other users have seperate logins, this might work.
> > You can have apache execute scripts as the appropriate user, not www.
> > That way, a 700 permission should prevent other users from reading your
> > scripts.
>
> I read some stuff about this.  I got the impression it required using
> PHP as a CGI, instead of mod_php.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  The
> overhead of using PHP as CGI is a little too high because the server is
> already pretty stretched...

Have a look at /usr/ports/www/suphp - be warned though, last time I
looked at it the checks it uses to ensure UID 0 scripts aren't executed
did not work correctly on FreeBSD.

One slightly more complicated option is to rearrange your user/group
permissions on a server-wide basis - there's a detailed description in
this post:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-August/014731.html

HTH

--