Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:42:19 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pac$Bell Internet DSL howto

A friend of mine just recently got the $39/mo DSL deal Pac$Bell
Internet is offering. There was a big enough hiccup that I thought I
would document it for the archives.

The "technical" folks at Pac$Bell said that they use DHCP, but in fact
they don't. They supply windows and Mac software (and aparently Linux
as well) that you are supposed to use to hook up. In actual fact, this
software does nothing more than PPPoE. DHCP doesn't enter in to it.

Anyway, the procedure in section 15.4 of the handbook mostly works just
fine
(I did not have to include the NETGRAPH_PPPOE option, as netgraph is now
smart enough to load its own modules). One thing I found necessary
was an ifconfig_xl1="up" line in /etc/rc.conf to "up" the interface
before
ppp would work.

There is a chicken-and-egg problem that I could not surmount, however.
In order to activate service, you have to hook up in order to visit
their
website and get the username and password you will use later as your
authname and authkey (you cannot do this from any other ISP).
It is unknown how to do this first-time hookup. We worked around it
by having the Pac$Bell guy use his machine to visit the website and
get the username and password. You could also, I suppose, use the
supplied
windows software once to establish an account and then use FreeBSD from
then on.

Of course, IMHO the next thing that needs to happen is that PPPoE
support needs to get into the mpd-netgraph port, so that the whole
gizmo can live in the kernel and cut out all that context
switching. Archie? :-)