Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:35:47 +0800
From:      williamkow <williamkow@gmail.com>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zszalbot@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD or PCBSD?

The FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List
http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebsd

Both DesktopBSD & PC-BSD are suitable for home users.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-BSD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DesktopBSD

Architecture :
                  Desktop Environment

                     Window Manager

                X Server (X.org/XFree.org)

                      Kernel
KDE
=====
-  Memory consuming (but user friendly)
-  use QT library but may not free
(http://trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses)
-  Very suitable for home users - full multimedia support (eg. good CD
writer)
-  Highly customisable for window environment settings.

GNOME
======
-  Efficient memory usage (simple & fast)
-  uses Gtk library, is free & part of GNU project (http://www.gtk.org/)
-  major enterprise linux distributions (Redhat, Suse, Fedora, Debian,
CentOS,
-  Highest distribution due to popularity of Ubuntu
(http://distrowatch.com/)

KDE vs. GNOME, Which is better ?
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3671906

Which Has the Best Applications? KDE or GNOME
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3673321