Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:23:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, leifn@image.dk
Subject:   Re: ppp incoming access.

> From: leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
>
> Sometimes somebody tries to connect to my machine, when i ppp to my isp. For
> fun I want to allow access to my webserver, which is not on the ppp'ing
> machine.
>
> webserver: 192.168.0.10 (darla)
> ppp-machine: 192.168.0.11 (arnold)
>
> I have in ppp.conf:
> default:
>   alias enable yes
>   alias port tcp 192.168.0.10:80 80
>
> This I would think should tell that incoming http-requests should be forwarded
> to the webserver.
>
> If I telnet to the ip-adress ppp gets from my isp, I get the login-prompt for
> arnold.
> But if I telnet to the same ip-adress, port 80, nothing happens.
> Is it possible at all?

You may have other things that you still have to configure, but I have a
home LAN on which I run a PostgresSQL server on a machine behind my ppp-machine.
I can successfully run psql from the shell account on my ISP's machine and connect
to my PostgresSQL server.  This is what I have in ppp.conf:

  # Redirect postgreSQL connections to base586
  alias port tcp 10.0.0.2:5432 5432

For your webserver, what you have looks right.  Some things to try:

  1.  Can you run a web browser on arnold and contact your web server?
      I assume you've tried this and it works.
  2.  Just a telnet to port 80 won't do anything... it appears that ``nothing
      happens''.  You need to issue a query.  This is what I get with my
      webserver (apache) when i type ``get'':

        bash$ telnet localhost 80
	Trying 127.0.0.1...
	Connected to base486.home.org.