Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:30:58 -0200
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@embratel.net.br>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xe driver broken?

Hi,

    Here I am, again.

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >     The xe driver seems to be broken in -stable since 4.4-RELEASE.  Are there,
> > at least, any workarounds?  Is there somebody working on a fix?
> >
> >     I have a Compaq Armada 3500 with a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card, and
> > would be glad to help any debugging needed.
> >
> > Ref:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=195414+203251+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-mobile/20011118.freebsd-mobile
>
> While it has a few warts, I have not been having any problems with my
> Xircom RE-100 under 4.4-Release or stable up to and including
> 4.5-PRERELEASE. I'm building 4.5-RC1 today.

    I still cannot load my Compaq Netelligent.  Anybody with one of these?

> As a result, I suspect that it's something else that is causing these
> problems. PCCARD support, especially interrupt handling, was re-worked
> for 4.4 and I suspect you problem lies here.

    As far as I got debugging it, it seems to me that it is a problem mapping
the CIS in the xe_probe() routine.  The bus_alloc_resource(9) function returns
ok, but the first tuple read is 0xff, meaning end.  I have no experience
dealing with bus allocation to know if the returned value from
rman_get_bushandle() is ok.

    Is there a handbook or any reference for the newbus susbsystem?  The
FreeBSD handbook pages on this are (intentionaly left) blank.

    TIA,

                                        Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís                 jonny@embratel.net.br