Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:55:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Daniel Berlin <root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uncle Sam, got a million bucks?

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> SCO's merge 4.0 supports win95 under openserver.
> Networking and all.
> Runs it in an x window or full screen.
> Also, if you have multiple processors, you'll have a faster win95 than
> win95

  So what? One still has to pay Microsoft for a license, so it's not much
different from having another box with Windows or running Windows in x86
emulator. AFAIK inefficient networking is one of the least our worries
with Windows.

> On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > Get a grant for Win32 on FreeBSD first.  8-).

  And? Get in the whole lot of trouble with trade secrets, patents and
reverse-engineering at the first attempt of soing anything marginally
useful in it? I'll rather spend time/money/coffee on decent alternative to
X11 or its extension with high-level functionality in server, as it will
be more, realistic way to compete with Microsoft, and as opposed to
copying their design, it will actually provide something useful for
people, who really need computers.

--
Alex