Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:26:43 +0000
From:      Ned Harrison <ned.woody@cox.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox with "Spinlock" error

On Monday 10 January 2005 02:17 am, you wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:47:46PM +0000, Ned Harrison wrote:
> > I keep getting this error when I try to start Firefox:
> >
> > Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in
> > file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno = 0)
> > Abort trap (core dumped)
> >
> > I read from a November post that this was related to out of date files in
> > the ~/.mozilla directory.
>
> No.  It's related to being linked to multiple thread libraries, see
> /usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> Kris

Kris, are you sure you are not with obscurity.org?  ;-)  That's a mighty vague
answer!  At least to me.

Your hint however was enough to get me to the right spot to get the problem
fixed, though I had to cross referenced it with the November 10th erata note
on the main FreeBSD web cite to be sure. Why I hadn't seen that erata note
before now I don't know.  Both the upgraded Mozilla and Firefox, PLUS my
sound are now working.  Now I just need to get my printer back on line.  Then
my upgrade to 5.3 will be complete.

Thank you very much for the hint.  I'm such a Newbie I didn't even know of the
existance of the /usr/src/UPDATING file.  I'll remember it now.
Sincerely,
Ned