Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:52:47 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: something strange with sendmail 8.11.6 on FreeBSD

mike> OK, here is a strange one.  Using the stock sendmail in FreeBSD
mike> STABLE, I am seeing strange timeouts to some hosts. e.g. mail to
mike> ica.net via icamail.ica.net.

> dig aaaa icamail.ica.net

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> aaaa icamail.ica.net =

;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4
                                       ^^^^^^^^
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      icamail.ica.net, type =3D AAAA, class =3D IN

=46rom sendmail/README:

When attempting to canonify a hostname, some broken name servers will
return SERVFAIL (a temporary failure) on T_AAAA (IPv6) lookups.  If you
want to excuse this behavior, compile sendmail with
-D_FFR_WORKAROUND_BROKEN_NAMESERVERS and add WorkAroundBrokenAAAA to your=

ResolverOptions setting.  However, instead, we recommend catching the
problem and reporting it to the name server administrator so we can rid t=
he
world of broken name servers.