Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 2015 22:31:47 -0400
From:      Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
To:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This diskfailure should not panic a system, but just disconnect disk from ZFS

>> You have a raidz2, which means THREE disks need to go down before the
>> pool is unwritable. The problem is most likely your controller or
>> power supply, not your disks.
>>
> Never make such assumptions...
>
> I have worked in a professional environment where 9 of 12 disks failed
> within 24 hours of each other....

Right... but if that was his problem there should be some logs of the
other drives going down first, and typically ZFS would correctly mark
the pool as degraded (at least, it would in my testing). The fact that
ZFS didn't get a chance to log anything and the pool came back up
healthy leads me to believe the controller went south, taking several
disks with it all at once and totally borking all IO. (Either that or
what Tom Curry mentioned about the Arc issue, which I wasn't previously
aware of).

Of course, if it issue isn't repeatable then who knows....