Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:12:18 +0100
From:      Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
To:        wmc20@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested Books & Guides on small bisiness LAN with FreeBSD

wmc20@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm looking for advice or suggestions on how to [re]design a small
> business network with FreeBSD.  I know that's a pretty broad topic --
> I'm not looking for a simple answer, so much as reference materials.
>
> Background:  for over 5 years we've had our business running with a
> few FreeBSD servers.  An external Internet connected box serves smtp,
> imap, http, ftp, dns (external and LAN internal) and http-proxy.
> Another server (on LAN behind NAT router) has Samba file & print
> services, lpd and some other things.
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is "best practice" suggestions for
> configuring all this optimally.  Problems we have currently include
> DNS -- if the Internet connection goes down, the server chokes, and
> we can't even get internal DNS.  And security issues, eg:  should the
> email accounts reside on an Internet-exposed server?
>
> O'Reilly sells "Windows to Linux Migration Toolkit" which sounds like
> some of what I'm looking for, except that it's for Linux -- but I've
> dabbled with that kludge enough to probably apply the concepts to
> FreeBSD  ;)  Any other suggestions on good books, web sites, etc?

Hi.

A book that covers both the OS and the services into real detail would
be like a a few thousand pages - there is no such thing. For DNS, you
need  the Cricket Book (DNS and BIND), for other services you need other
books. However, a combination of the FreeBSD handbook and the usually
excellent man pages takes you a long way!

For the mail server, if you need connectivity from outside, yes, you
need to expose it, if not, mail can just be routed to the insisde.
Properly set up there should not be a problem exposing it though - most
mail servers are built to do just that. As the administrator it's your
obligation to keep the stuff updated so that any security holes are
fixed before too late.

Just my SEK0.02

Per olof