Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:21:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Joe Loughry <loughry@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unexpected PPP termination: Unacceptable Address !? What it might be?

I encountered the same problem last night, trying to install 4.1.1-RELEASE by FTP
over a PPP dialup connection to my provider.

The solution is to give the following command to PPP:

After PPP displays "Phase: PPP Started (interactive mode)", at the prompt that
says "ppp ON laptop> ", enter this:

set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

It's the "/0" at then end of the first two addresses that is the important part.
The actual addresses you specify do not matter at all.  The "/0" at the end of
each says "I don't care about any of the bits of this address" -- so PPP is free
to change it.

I think you can do the same trick from the sysinstall screen where you enter
your hostname, domain, nameserver address, etc., by specifying your IP address
as 10.0.0.1/0 and your gateway address as 10.0.0.2/0 but I haven't tried this.
I'll try it tonight, as I ran out of disk space on the laptop partway through
the install and need to try it again anyway.

-Joe

"Baatar" <baatar@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD-3.4 (PAO distribution) on my 486
subnotebook
through FTP using  an PCMCIA modem. Everything goes OK until it comes to
ppp. It starts, negotiates the IP address, and as soon as it recieves
the IP
address it dies. Following is the output of ppp session:

Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
Warning: No default entry found in config file.
Warning: ParseAddr: DHCP: Bad address
Warning: set ifaddr: Failed 1    # ?! Maybe the problem lies here?
Phase: PPP Started (interactive mode).
ppp ON korvin> dial
Phase: bundle; Establish
Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Phase: deflink: Connected!
Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Phase: Phone: 1234567
ppp ON korvin> Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
Phase: deflink: /dev/cuaa3: CD detected
Phase: deflink: carrier -> login
Phase: deflink: login -> lcp
Phase: bundle: Authenticate
Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine = none
Phase: Pap Output: my_auth_name ********
Ppp ON korvin> Phase: Pap Input: SUCCESS (Login Succeeded)
Phase: deflink: lcp -> open
Phase: bundle: Network
PPp ON korvin> Phase: 216.102.143.194: Unacceptable address!
Phase; bundle: terminate
Phase: deflink: open -> lcp
ppp ON korvin> Phase: deflink: Carrier lost
Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Phase: deflink: lcp -> logout
Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Phase: deflink: logout -> hangup
Phase: deflink: Connect time: 27 secs: 345 octets in, 284 octets out
Phase:  total 23 bytes/sec, peak 123 bytes/sec on Tue Aug 22 08:11:20
2000
Phase: deflink: hangup -> closed
Phase: bundle: Dead

I suspect that it has to do with the routing table and writing to some
configuration files. But on this early stage of installation how can I
edit
those files, if there is any? Or am I wrong?

I tried both PAP/CHAP and Unix style logins but the result is same.

Does anyone give me a clue?
I just don't want to create a DOS partition for distribution files on
such a
small disk (320M).