Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 98 08:56:48 +0100
From:      "John Richards" <john@zyqad.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Euro key ?

All,

You are all making far too much of all this.  Once all the european countries
are in the Euro we can replace the local currency, symbol keycode 243 in UK,
with the Euro symbol and everything works out OK.  National currencies will
hopefully then cease to exist - despite our Euro-sceptics and the banks will be
unable to fleece on every currency exchange.  Of course for those countries that
don't have a special currency sign they can just replace the British one - once
we join up!

> remy@synx.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah but where is it in the iso8859-1 page ??
> >
> > No hurry. Let's wait to see what funny code the Wxx will return, put it
> > on keyboard mapping, and let European users fontedit the X fonts to have
> > things match.
>
> Editing ISO8859-x fonts is far from the right thing to do.
>
> Making X display the Euro glyph is easy, but there are larger problems
> than X.
>
> For example, if you fontedit your ISO8859-x fonts to change the currency
> glyph (code point 0xa4) to the Euro glyph, that'll make it possible for
> things to look nice on your screen, but then you're not going to get the
> same thing on a piece of paper when you print that file.
>
> ISO needs to do two things. First they need to define an ISO2022 escape
> sequence that you can use switch to a codeset that defines the Euro.
> Second, they need to define that new codeset that contains the Euro, and
> all the other miscellaneous currency characters, e.g. that are defined
> in Unicode/ISO10646 but not in any other character set. (Perhaps they've
> already done this?)
>
> I already have a query in to ISO about those two things. Whether they
> can act quickly enough to produce something usable is a different
> question. Perhaps I presume too much when I think that there's a risk
> that they'll come back and say "it's in Unicode, use Unicode." Is
> everyone ready to switch en mass to Unicode?
>
> In the mean time the X11 specifications and the Sample Implementation
> are being augmented with new keysyms, one or more new fonts, and a
> non-standard escape sequence to switch between codesets. Once ISO
> defines a standard escape sequence then the SI will be changed
> accordingly.
>
> (Now the rest of the world gets to learn how to deal with codeset
> switching, which the Japanese have been doing for years. All thanks to
> the Euro. :-)
>
> --
>
> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
> X Architect, The Open Group X Project Team

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)