Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:05:44 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        bfoz@glue.umd.edu (Brandon Fosdick)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wavelan/orinoco mini-pci support

> > > : I have been thinking of using one of the wavelan/orinoco/dell mini-pci
> > > : cards, but before I get one I'd just like to find out if they are
> > > : working on FreeBSD. What do they look like programming wise? Still
> > > : like a PC Card, just with a pci-pccard bridge maybe? Anyone knows?
> > >
> > > I'd love to know :-)
> >
> > Ok, I found out. I got hold of one of the Dell mini-pci cards and they
> > look like a PCI-CardBus bridge with a TrueMobile 1150 all on one board.
>
> I have one of these in my laptop (Lattitude C800) too, but I got the
> "cannot allocate IRQ" error and haven't had time to look into it
> further. I did try the "-I -i 11" trick though and it didn't work. I
> also noticed that the card isn't picked up if i reboot coming from
> windows (instead I get something like no entry for "null,"null"), its
> only seen if I boot to freebsd first. I also get a whole lot of
> scrolling "event mask 0xfffff..." types messages during boot.
>
> All of this was using stable from a few days ago (when warner sent the
> last set of patches to the list). Did you have to do anything to get it
> to work?

I also used a Dell Lattitude C800. In the begining I had problems getting
it to "see" the disk, but after I got that working it was plain sailing.
I used a snap of the 24th together with Warner's pcic-diff.8 and it just
worked.

I don't know about the windows stuff. When I borrow the machine, I take
the windows disk out and put my FreeBSD disk in. :-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za