Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:41:24 -0700
From:      Tim Traver <tt-list@simplenet.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail base configuration

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:08:11 -0700, Tim Traver <tt-list@simplenet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know this isn't exactly the right place for a sendmail question, but
>> it has to do with the system configuration, and I'm trying to find
>> some help to create a relatively simple solution (I think)...
>>
>> ok, here is what I want to do, which I have done in the past, but now
>> it doesn't seem to be working...
>>
>> I simply want any submitted email using sendmail to be relayed to
>> another mta for distribution. I want this to happen both from
>> submitted mail from the command line, and from any queues, if the mail
>> is submitted to the running daemon.
>>

> Set the `SMART_HOST' option in your `custom-sendmail.mc' file.  That
> should do it.

I tried that, and regenerated the cf files using "make all", and it
still wants to use the MX record of the based domain to send out mail
and I can't figure out why.

The maillog entries show that it initially tries to use root@localhost
as a relay, which doesn't make sense...

I'm baffled by its behavior at this point, and don't know how to solve it...

help...

Tim.