Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:24:14 +1000 (est)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The sendmail discussion...

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:

{...}

> I plan on continuing to improve the FreeBSD infrastructure for sendmail
> and will continue trying to be sensitive to the needs of non-sendmail
> users.  I welcome feedback and I try to be quite reasonable.

Thank you for all your work, including this comprehensive article.

A point I think many users of other MTAs are oblivious to is that the
Internet of today is a far less diverse environment than the environment
sendmail was born into.  Sendmail as a result is an extraordinarily
flexible tool.  I have needed that flexibility, and believe that FreeBSD
as an OS for the full spectrum of use is the better for retaining such
flexibility.

It is short sighted to lumber the current releases of sendmail with the
millstone of unmaintained vendor versions and poor system administration.

I find it amazing, and reassuring, that sendmail has survived the
challenges of the changing internet and that it continues to successfully
evolve despite the vociferous support for less mature, less flexible and
less widely used competion.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia