Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:00:39 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libglade-gnome troubles

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 08:27:16PM -0400, Patrick Seal wrote:
> DANGER! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! PRODUCTION MACHINE!
>
> But does anybody have any hints?

That was, I'm afraid, my hint.

There was a period, many moons ago, when there were a few problems
with libglade-gnome.  Those have since been fixed.  That you are
having similar problems, for many months, indicates a woefully
out-of-date something...

> I generally do a make buildworld && make installworld every month. I then
> go through all the system directories deleting old files and
> make installworld again just in case. I recently rm -rf /usr/X11R6/* ,
> rebuilt XFree86-4, and reinstalled the X11 ports.

You would have had tons of problems at this point, with the
reinstallation process complaining about addition of ports that
were already present in /var/db/pkg/* ...

Running XFree86 4.0 on a production machine is not a good idea, too,
but that's beside the point..

Rather than go through an endless question and answer session, I would
suggest that you trash your backup production server as described
previously, get everything working, swap the two machines out, and
repeat the process.

Trust me, it'll be the quickest method.

Regards,
	-aDe