Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:31:46 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Craig Critchley" <craigc@nwlink.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Net Performance

--==_Exmh_-804607468P

If memory serves me right, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 01:07:26 -0700, "Craig Critchley" <craigc@nwlink.com> s
> aid:
>
> > Ah, I've misunderstood the sequence number being ack'd - it's the next byte
> > expected by the reciever, eh?  Damn.  I've probably been tearing apart the
> > wrong machine.
>
> No, it's the sequence number of the last octet (or control bit)
> successfully received *and desegmented*.  The SYN and FIN bits occupy
> one unit in sequence space.  TCP's acknowledgements are cumulative, so
> ACK(1234) means that all data up to and including sequence number 1234
> have been received successfully.  If sequence 1222 is lost, then
> regardless of how many later packets are successfully received, TCP
> will send ACK(1221) until a segment containing 1222 is received.

Possibly contributing to the confusion is the way that tcpdump prints
out TCP sequence numbers.  If you have a line that looks like...

08:22:19.252316 foo.ssh > bar.935: P 1:37(36) ack 20 win 8760 (DF) [tos 0x10]

...the segment displayed really contained octets with sequence numbers 1
through 36 inclusive, despite the fact that the line reads "1:37" (36
objects numbered starting from 1 will end at 36, not 37).  Note that the
next segment from this example conversation was...

08:22:20.472454 foo.ssh > bar.935: P 37:73(36) ack 40 win 8760 (DF) [tos 0x10]

...showing that byte 37 really went in the second segment, not the
first.  If a person didn't know this fact, it'd be easy to interpret the
acks wrongly.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-804607468P

--==_Exmh_-804607468P--