Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:40:16 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
From:      Valerie Delane <vzd@savina.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6 kills IBM Thinkpad T21?

Hello!  I recently joined this list.  I loaded FreeBSD4.6 from the
official cdrom (subscription) on my Dell Latitude; there were too
many problems to even bother listing here.  I gave up and decided to
try on my IBM Thinkpad T21.  Lo and behold, the installation seemed
to run flawlessly...  until exiting the install utility and the
system rebooted (of course I removed the cdrom first).  The system
hung at the color "IBM Thinkpad" splash screen.  I power cycled it
and it hung at the same place (repeated several times in disbelief).
If I'm really fast I can press F1 (bios settings) or F12 (boot
device), and the system goes as far as to print "Entering IBM BIOS
Setup Utility" or "Preparing Boot Device List," respectively under
the IBM logo -- then it hangs.  When I did the install, I asked for
the FreeBSD bootstrapper and made that partition bootable, but it
doesn't even get as far as loading the bootstrapper.  I removed power
and battery for 10 minutes, then tried again -- no joy.  Irregardless
of my carp about the Latitude at the beginning of this note, I'm
reasonably sure the distribution cdrom is ok because I did eventually
get through the install and fiddle with the system at the user level.
I suppose it's possible that the IBM hardware suddenly spazzed, but
that laptop was running just fine with w2k pro (as well as that os
ever runs, anyway) for the last couple of years.  Any guesses what
happened and how to recover?  Best regards,