Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:40:42 +1030 (CST)
From:      tim <tim@lost.net.au>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.conf

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:

> I've searched the archives, faq, manual, and google/bsd, all to no avail.
> I know this is possible - send a sig hup to rc.conf so it will be re-read
> with
> the new changes, thus avoiding rebooting the machine. I just don't
> remember
> the correct way to do it. I saw the answer before, just didn't write it
> down, dummy
> me. Could someone remind me?

The only program that reads rc.conf are the startup scripts
(/etc/rc*). You can't just "re-run" them from multiuser mode. You
should restart whichever service you've modified the settings for
manually (which often, but not always, means sending a SIGHUP to
a process).

Or, take the machine into single-user mode with the shutdown
command. When you exit single-user mode, the rc files are
re-executed. (this requires console access).

HTH,

--
tim@lost.net.au